New Funding Model[NFM] was unveiled by the President of the Republic of Kenya on 3rd May 2023 to address the challenges that public universities and TVET colleges were enduring which were attributed primarily on massive enrolment and inadequate funding. The funding model is student centered and loans and bursaries will be apportioned to students based on their assessed level of need.
The universities and TVET will no longer receive block funding in the form of capitation. The funding to students shall combine scholarship, loans and household contributions on a graduated scale as determined Means Testing Instrument [MTI]. Students from extremely needy and vulnerable backgrounds will pay nothing to colleges and universities.
- Higher Education Loans Board: For Provision of Loans and Bursaries to students enrolled in TVET Colleges and Universities [Public and Private]
- Universities Fund: Provision of Undergraduate Scholarship to Government Sponsored Students enrolled in Public Universities
- Kenya Universities and Colleges Placement Service: For placement of Students in their desired and qualified courses upon application
- State Department of Technical Education: Provision of TVET scholarships
- Higher Learning Institutions-The recipients of loans and scholarships awarded to students inform of fees
- Parents: To support household’s contributions.
- General Public
Reasons for the NFM (Why NFM)
- Address myriad facing challenges facing universities.
- Ensures that eligible Kenyans students are provided with adequate education financial support
- The Vulnerable and Extremely needy students are assured of affordable education because they pay nothing.
- Promotes equity and access to higher education; every applicant gets something depending on their level of need and degree of vulnerabilities.
- Students are now required to apply for scholarships as opposed to uniform awards even to affluent households.
- Has implemented fees payment as actual cost of the program. Saves the universities from financial constraints
Undergraduate Students placed by KUCCPS in 2022 in Public Universities
TVET students placed by KUCCPS in 2022 in Public TVET Colleges
Requirements for application (UG & TVET)
- A valid email address for the applicant (Student)
- Valid telephone number (must be registered in your name to apply for a loan)
- KCPE and KCSE index numbers and year of examination
- Passport size photo
- Copy of your National ID (for loan application)
- College/University admission letter
- Your parents’ registered telephone number
- Your parents’ national ID number
- Death certificate if any of your parent is deceased.
- Your birth certificate.
- Two guarantors’ (Can be your parents) ID numbers and registered telephone numbers (for loan application)
- Copy of the sponsorship letter if you were sponsored in Secondary school.