KMTC Kwale Campus was formerly known as Matuga Medical Training College. It was established in 1977 as a result of identified need to train Public Health Officers (PHOs).
In 1985 the then Principal Matuga Training Centre was advised by the Ministry to consider searching for a plot to construct a medical training centre which was to be funded by Government. Upon sharing the idea with the District Development Committee, in 1998 the College was allocated a plot measuring 13.5 acres through the District Development Plot Allocation Committee.
In 1999 Kenya Medical Training College was granted an autonomous status by the Government which made the Ministry of Health shelve the initial idea of construction of the Matuga Training Centre.
In the same year the Principal shared the idea of the plot to the then Director Kenya Medical Training College and was advised to mobilize the community to take over the project of construction while Kenya Medical Training College was to provide staff, students, other learning equipment and materials.
In the year 2000, Matuga Medical Training College staff mobilized the local leaders who under the leadership of the area Member of Parliament came up with a committee known as the Kwale Medical Training College – Building Project Committee to work out modalities of developing the project.
The Chair was and is to-date Al-Hajj Kassim Zani, the Principal was and is to-date the Secretary and the area Member of Parliament being the Patron of the committee. Members come from almost all the former Districts in Coast Province.
Kenya Medical Training College – Kwale Campus project has largely been a community initiative, with support of KMTC Board of Directors and other partners/well-wishers.
Between 1977 and 2006 the Campus was being housed by the then Government Training Institute (GTI), which is now called Kenya School of Government. Towards the end of the year 2011 the KMTC – Kwale Campus Project Committee put a request to then Director Kenya Medical Training College for the Campus to start admitting students.
In September 2012, having met the requirements, the Campus admitted 41 Diploma students in Environmental Health Sciences, still under KMTC Msambweni Campus. In January 2014 the entire department of Environmental Health Sciences was moved from Msambweni Campus to Kwale Campus.
In the year 2015, KMTC – Kwale Campus gained autonomous status and delinked from KMTC-Msambweni Campus. In August 2016, the Campus was relocated to Tumbe in Msambweni Division (currently Msambweni Sub-County), which was an Infectious Disease Hospital (IDH) for Tuberculosis and Leprosy diseases.
Programmes and Courses Offered
- Certificate in Environmental Health Sciences
- Certificate in Nutrition and Dietetics
- Diploma in Environmental Health Sciences
- Community Health and Development (short course)
- Well equipped computer lab
- College bus
- Well stocked library
- Well-equipped skills lab
The current number of students is 240 with the number expected to increase in the next intake.
Clinical Experience Sites
For clinical experience, the students visit the following health facilities:
- Msambweni County Referral and Teaching Hospital
- Hospitals within the Coast region such as County hospitals and health facilities
- For Environmental Health Sciences (Public Health) course, which is field-based, students go to any County of their choice.
Clubs, societies and sports
The College has the following clubs;
- Christian Union
- Muslim Association
- Seventh Day Adventist (SDA)
- First Aid
- Presidential Award
- Football – men and women
- Volleyball – men and women
- Netball ladies
- Indoor games
Campus contact information
K M T C Kwale Campus
P.O. Box 324-80403
Email: [email protected]
Full list of all Courses offered at KMTC (See minimum entry requirements)
1. Clinical Medicine and Surgery (Diploma and Higher
2. Medical Laboratory Sciences (Diploma and Higher
3. Orthopaedic and Trauma Medicine (Certificate
4. Community Oral Health (Diploma)
5. Medical Imaging Sciences (Diploma and Higher
6. Medical Education (Higher Diploma)
7. Health Records and Information Technology
(Certificate and Diploma)
8. Pharmacy (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
9. Dental Technology (Diploma)
10. Nursing (Certificate, Diploma and Higher Diploma)
11. Public Health (Certificate, Diploma and Higher Diploma)
12. Nutrition and Dietetics (Certificate and Diploma)
13. Occupational Therapy (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
14. Health Promotion (Certificate, Diploma and Higher
15. Orthopaedic Technology (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
16. Optometry (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
17. Physiotherapy (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
18. Medical Engineering (Certificate, Diploma and Higher
19. Short Courses
How to Apply for KMTC Courses 2021/2022
We welcome your application
Thank you for your interest in the Kenya Medical Training College. We are happy that you are looking closely at the exciting opportunities available here in KMTC.
KMTC seeks to enrol and graduate applicants who will develop and grow educationally and personally and will contribute to the College community, and the broader society.
To that end, the role of the Admissions and Records Office is to recruit, admit, and encourage enrolment of applicants who are spiritually mature, academically excellent, accomplished in extra-curricular endeavours, and broadly diverse through individualized review and professional judgment.
All applications are ONLINE from the application portal on this website www.kmtc.ac.ke.
The prospective candidates apply for admission into courses for each academic year for Regular or Parallel Category.
The Regular category have subsidized fee with optional accommodation but no choice for campus while the parallel category have non subsidized fee, no accommodation option but have option for campuses choice in more than sixty five (65) campuses situated in different parts of the country depending on the courses.
- Prospective candidates are expected to visit the applicants’ portal, read the advertisement to know the various courses and their specific entry requirements.
- Candidates interested in making an application are advised to READ the application guidelines (preservice/Inservice) available on the application portal
- Candidates are advised to follow the steps carefully given in the application guideline to the end to be sure of application success.
- Take note that the application period has timelines as stipulated on the advertisement please observe them