An early morning fire today gutted a dormitory at Al Maktoum Girls High School in Kajiado town.
The fire which broke out at around 5am Wednesday, destroyed beddings and students’ personal belongings leaving 56 students without a place to sleep.
Villagers rushed to the scene to help put out the fire but it had already spread and engulfed everything.No student was injured during the morning incident as they were already awake and attending morning prayers at the mosque.
Kajiado Central Sub-County Police Commander David Loronyokwe confirmed the incident adding that an electric fault is suspected to have caused the inferno.
“Nothing was salvaged during the incident as the fire was too fierce and efforts by locals to put it out proved futile. We suspect the fire was caused by an electric fault. There were no casualties and the students are all safe,” said Loronyokwe.
Residents who helped put out the fire blamed the county government for not responding to their appeals during fire outbreaks.
They noted that there was no firefighting equipment in the town despite being the county’s headquarters.
Kajiado town had witnessed several fire incidences in the past one month. Barely a fortnight ago, fire razed a Children’s home within the town leaving 15 children who resided in the institution homeless.
On Monday, another fire razed a dormitory at Olkejuado Boys High School destroying property worth thousands of shillings.
The school had to rely on water bowsers from private organizations to help put out the fire, which gutted the dormitory that housed 80 students.