TEACHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (TPD)
MOUNT KENYA UNIVERSITY ACCREDITED FOR TEACHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (TPD)
Mount Kenya University is an accredited TPD Service Provider by Teachers Service Commission to implement the Teacher Professional Development (TPD) programme and invites registered teachers to enroll for the programme.
|Course||Requirements||Target Group||Duration||Annual Fees||Award|
|Registration by Teachers Service Commission||
Registered teachers and instructional leaders
in private and public primary& secondary schools and trainers in tertiary institutions in Kenya.
|Introductory module transcript|
Module1 Chapter1 – 5
Completion of Introductory module
5 years-One chapter per year
|Module one Certificate
Renewal of Teaching Certificate
The overall objective of the TPD is to improve learning outcomes in Kenyan schools by:
- Institutionalizing a culture of life-long learning of teachers and instructional leaders
- promoting institution-based professional learning practices;
- Equipping teachers and instructional leaders with 21st century skills;
- Building capacity for teachers and instructional leaders’ competencies in creating supportive, safe and healthy learning environments.
- Upon successful completion of the TPD program, the teacher shall be issued with a teaching certificate renewable every five years.
This program will introduce teachers to Teacher Professional Development and to the Seven (7) Kenya Professional Teaching Standards (KePTS). The introductory module has five (5) chapters, which are expected to be completed within one year.
The content of each chapter is based on current knowledge and research applicable to the practical needs of a Kenyan classroom teacher.
The content and activities are applicable to real-life situation of a practicing teacher, are self-directed and experiential. They reflect a diversity of perspectives and address the knowledge, skills and attitudes required of a teacher in line with the TPD Policy Framework.
Six modules (Level 1-6)
After the introductory module, the teachers and the instructional leaders will then proceed to the level one module. There will be two different modules: One for the Teachers and the one for Instructional Leaders. Level One module will have 5 chapters. A teacher or an instructional leader will take one chapter per year for a period of 5 years but to a maximum of 7 years.
Level two to Level six modules will each take 5 years.
Mode of delivery
Blended mode consisting of face-to-face (On site) shall be done during school holidays and online learning where the teachers and instructional leaders shall access the online content any time anywhere via modern technologies.
MKU will use a combination of various interactive learning platforms that are technology driven to deliver an awesome learner experience through self- paced learning.
The University will use Microsoft teams for interactive video sessions, Question and answer sessions, breakout sessions, and short-recorded videos amongst other platforms on certain topics to guide the learner.
TPD mobile App (Kindly download the mobile App from the Google playstore)
The APP will allow easy application and students onboarding process with the following features;
- Pay bill integration for easy application
- Registration process
- Integration with e-Learning to allow access to resources
- Communication, Feedback and progress monitoring. Certification
- Digital transcripts to be issued to students upon completion of a chapter and the same shared with the Teachers Service Commission.
- Certificates will be issued upon completion of a module.
Payments will be deposited at Equity Bank, Account Name: Mount Kenya University Teacher Professional Development, Account Number: 1550281262747.
For more information on application and onboarding, kindly visit https://www.mku.ac.ke/tpd/
- Contact Ms. Nelly Kayanda, MKU Centre for Professional Development on 0709 153 194/ 0709 153 195.
- WhatsApp 0111612814
Mount Kenya University
Centre for Professional Development
Tel: 0709 153 194 /0709 153 195