The Ministry of Education through Equity Group Foundation is awarding Secondary School Scholarships in 110 targeted Sub-Counties and fifteen (15) urban centres with informal settlements to needy and vulnerable learners who attained 280 marks and above in the 2020 KCPE Examination.
For affirmative action, candidates who are Orphans and/or from Vulnerable Communities and those with special needs and disabilities who attained below 280 marks may be considered.
Only candidates who sat the 2020 KCPE examinations from public primary schools in the 110 Sub-Counties and the fifteen (15) urban centres with informal settlements will be eligible to apply.
The 110 targeted Sub-Counties are as per the National Government Administrative areas that existed in the year 2015.
The list of the targeted Sub-Counties and the fifteen (15) urban centres with informal settlements are available in the Ministry of Education and Equity Group Foundation website www.education.go.ke and https://egfdmis equitybank.co.ke/register_elimu
The applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Candidates with special needs and disabilities (Physical, Hearing and Visual Impairments, Autism, Albinism, Learning Disabilities and Others); or
Orphans and vulnerable children; or
- Candidates from vulnerable communities in the target Sub-Counties, or
- Candidates from urban centres with informal settlements; or
- o Whose parents/guardians are living with disabilities that have compromised their ability to meet the financial obligations of their children
- o Whose families are affected by HIV/AIDS and other chronic illnesses with debilitating effects that could render parents and guardians destitute and unable to fend for their families.
- o Whose families are affected by extreme poverty rendering them unable to educate their children.
- o Who have suffered from neglect, abuse and have no support to continue with their education.
How to apply
Interested applicants are advised to collect scholarship application forms from the nearest Equity Bank Branch or Equity Bank Agent.
Application forms can also be downloaded from the Ministry of Education and Equity Group Foundation website: www.education.go.ke and https://egfdmis.equitybank.co.ke/register_elimu.
Deadline for making application
Duly completed application forms including supporting documents should be submitted to the nearest Equity Bank Branch by 31 May, 2021.
Shortlisted candidates, accompanied by parents/guardians will be invited for interviews which will be conducted by the Community Scholarship Advisory Committees.
The scholarship caters for school fees, transport to and from school learning materials and school kit for the beneficiaries for the four-year education period.
Please note that ONLY the candidates who meet the stipulated requirements will be considered for the scholarship.
Members of the public are urged to share this information widely so as to reach as many potential beneficiaries as possible.
For any questions or grievances regarding the application process of the Elimu Scholarship Programme, please contact;
- Tel: +254 763 063 000,
- Email: [email protected] or [email protected]
- Equity Center 8th Floor Hospital Road, Upper Hill, PO Box 75104-00200, Nairobi, Kenya,
LIST OF TARGETED SUB-COUNTIES UNDER THE SECONDARY EDUCATION QUALITY IMPROVEMENT PROJECT (SEQIP) ELIMU SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME
Students from these Sub counties are eligible for the scholarships:
- Baringo North
- East Pokot
- Bungoma West
- Kajiado Central
- Mt Elgon
- Kakamega South
- Teso North
- Teso South
- Marakwet East
- Marakwet West
- Murang’a East
- Mwingi Central
- Mwingi East
- Trans Mara East
- Samburu Central
- Samburu East
- Samburu North
- Bura (Tana North)
- Laikipia North
- Tana Delta
- Tana River
- Tharaka North
- Tharaka South
- Turkana Central
- Turkana East
- Turkana North
- Turkana South
- Mandera Central
- Turkana West
- Mandera East
- Mandera North
- Mandera West
- Horr North
- Wajir East
- Wajir North
- Wajir South
- Marsabit South (Laisamis)
- Wajir West
- Pokot Central
- Pokot North
- Kuria East
- Pokot South
- Kuria West
- West Pokot
LIST OF TARGETED URBAN CENTRES WITH INFORMAL SETTLEMENTS
Students from these areas (informal settlements/ slums) are also eligible to apply: