The Ministry of Education has instructed schools to cut down on costs of uniforms for students. Basic Education Principal Secretary Dr. Belio Kipsang has asked the school heads to find ways of reducing the costs of uniforms that have caused agony for most parents.
The PS said some learners who sat for the 2019 Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCPE) examination were unable to report to form one due to the high uniform costs. He said a total of 1,061,000 pupils out of the 1,088,986 have so far reported to secondary schools countrywide. The remaining learners had either repeated in class eight or proceeded to Technical and Vocational Training Centres without being coerced.
FOR A COMPLETE GUIDE TO ALL SCHOOLS IN KENYA CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW;
Here are links to the most important news portals:
- KUCCPS News Portal
- TSC News Portal
- Universities and Colleges News Portal
- Helb News Portal
- KNEC News Portal
- KSSSA News Portal
- Schools News Portal
- Free Teaching Resources and Revision Materials
Apart from high costs of uniforms, some schools are still charging extra levies. In one school for instance, parents are asked to pay for Parents and Teachers Association (PTA), remedial studies and motivation.
Other charges imposed on parents include: Examination registration processing fees and money for stationery.
The Government offers a fee subsidy of Sh22,244 per year for all students in Puplic schools under the Free Day Secondary Education Programme.
MAXIMUM FEES PAYABLE
Disbursement of capitation to schools is done in the ratio 50:30:20 thus;
- Term one 2020: by 30th November 2019.
- Term two 2020: by 30th March 2020.
- Term three 2020: by 30th July 2020.
The maximum school fees to be charged by all National schools and Extra county schools that are located in Nairobi, Mombasa, Nakuru, Kisumu, Nyeri, Thika and Eldoret should not exceed Sh53,554 per year.
On the other hand, boarding schools including extra county schools that are located in other areas other than the town of Nairobi, Mombasa, Nakuru, Kisumu, Nyeri, Thika and Eldoret should charge a maximum of Sh40,535 from parents as the yearly fees.
Principals have been urging the Government to allow them charge extra fees to cater for the large influx of learners to Secondary schools from the one hundred Percent transition drive.
BEST LINKS TO TSC SERVICES & DOCUMENTS; ONLINE
- All TSC services online portals and how to log in
- Complete guide to the new TSC TPAD portal
- TSC: Full details on the newly established grades for teachers
- TSC: Designation codes for all teacher job groups
- TSC Grades and qualifications/ requirements for various administrative positions in schools
- TSC: Details on the current all 36 Teacher job groups/ grades
- TSC: Requirements, appointment and responsibilities of Principals
- All what you need to know and carry to a TSC teacher recruitment interview
- TSC: Requirements, responsibilities and appointment of Deputy Principals
- TSC: Full payment rates for teachers, officials, attending CBC training
- New, latest TSC Teachers recruitment guidelines
- TSC: Wealth declaration guide for teachers, staff
- A TSC teacher’s payslip details and how to get yours online
- TSC posting, employment, letters for newly recruited teachers
- TSC adds another new teacher registration, employment requirement; read the details
- All TSC online services: the TSC website, online services and how to easily access them
- New list of TSC County Directors
- Updated TSC recruitment guidelines for teachers
- TSC: Process of handing-taking over by new school heads and other administrators
- New academic and professional requirements for registration of teachers
- How to check the status of TSC number application online
- Get the latest TSC news on these official Social Media links (Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Telegram and online)
- How to apply online for the vacant administrative positions at the Teachers Service Commission-tsc
- TSC: Most marketable subject combinations
- TSC: Revised, new, service charter
- TSC: Download all the TSC forms, circulars, regulations and Memos here
- TSC: How to easily get the retirement, pension, benefits
- TSC: Full process of interdicting, disciplining and dismissing teachers
- New, updated, list of offences that can lead to a teacher’s removal from the TSC register
- TSC: All teachers’ leaves explained
- TSC: List of all allowances paid to teachers and to get them
- Latest Career Progression Guidelines, CPG, for teachers
- TSC: Answers to all the Frequently asked questions by teachers
- TSC: A list of all the TSC contacts
- TSC: How a teacher should claim the medical expenses costs from TSC
- TSC: How to best apply for a teacher transfer
- How to easily apply for a TSC number
- Applying for a TSC number? This is all you need to know.
- All what you are required to have in order to apply for a TSC number