The President has kick started the process of appointing a new Chairperson to the Teachers Service Commissio, TSC. This is after the retirement of former Chair Dr. Lydia Nzomo.
Dr. Nzomo took oath of office on December 9, 2014, which marked the beginning of her tenure to lead TSC as a constitutional commission. She retired in November 2020 after serving her full 2 terms of three years each.
Via a gazette notice dated February 24, 2021 President Uhuru has appointed Thomas Koyier to chair the Selection Panel for the selection of nominees for appointment as the Chairperson and one member of the Teachers Service Commission.
Members to the Selection Panel
Members to the Committee shall include:
- Mary Gaturu (Dr.); to represent the Cabinet Secretary for Education,
- Charles Mutinda to represent the Attorney General
- Njoki Kahiga to represent the Cabinet Secretary in the Ministry public service
- Margaret Lilan Geno who is a nominee of the Federation of Kenya Employers
- Richard Kibagendi and Hellen Hazel Misenda (Dr.) nominated by the registered trade unions representing the interests of registered teachers.
- Eva Naputuni Nyoike to represented association of private schools
- Stanley Waudo (Prof.) who is an educationist.
- Dr Nancy Macharia, the TSC Boss; Biography, CV and other details
- Dr. Nancy Macharia; All TSC Secretary/ Chief Executive Officers: Latest TSC News
- Beatrice Wababu; TSC Head of Corporate Communications: Biography and Contacts
THE PROCESS OF APPOINTING A NEW TSC CHAIRPERSON.
The chairperson shall convene the first meeting of the selection panel within seven days and invite applications from persons who qualify for nomination and appointment as chairperson or member of the Commission.
After shortlisting the applicants, the Koyier led panel shall then interview the shortlisted applicants and submit the names of three qualified applicants for the position of chairperson and qualified applicants for the position of a member to the President.
Next, the President shall, within seven days of receipt of the names forwarded nominate one person for appointment as chairperson and another to be a member of the Commission and forward the names to the National Assembly for approval.
The National Assembly shall, within twenty one days of its sitting, consider each nomination received and approve or reject any of them.
The Speaker of the National Assembly shall, within five days forward the name of the approved applicants to the President for appointment and who shall, by notice in the Gazette, appoint the chairperson and the member approved by the National Assembly within seven days of receipt of the approved nominees from the Speaker of the National Assembly.
QUALIFICATIONS OF A TSC CHAIRPERSON
A person shall be qualified for appointment as the chairperson to the Commission if such a person;
- holds a degree in education from a university recognized in Kenya;
- has knowledge and experience of at least fifteen years in matters relating to education and training; and
- meets the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution.
To qualify for appointment as a member to the TSC, you must;
- hold a degree from a university recognized in Kenya;
- hve knowledge and experience of at least ten years in matters relating to any of the following fields:
(iii) management; or
(iv) law; and
- meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution.