The National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) is the leading health insurance institution in the country. It is mandated to ensure all Kenyans have access to quality and affordable health services,It plays a key role in implementing the universal health coverage agenda in Kenya.
NHIF Online Registration Requirements
- Copy of National ID.
- Copy of spouse Nation ID.
- Marriage certificate.
- Birth Certificate of children(Above 6months).
- Your employer NHIF code(if employed).
- Passport size photo of the applicant,spouse and dependents.
NHIF Registration Procedure
- Via a browser like chrome visit NHIF portal via the link:http://registeronline.nhif.or.ke/member/
- Click on ”self employed”/”Employed”.
- Key in Your ID /Passport number/Alien ID.
- Keenly and honestly fill all the form details as instructed.
- Attach copy of your ID or Passport.
- Attach passport size photo.
- Attach marriage certificate (if married).
- Click on “confirm”.
N/B:Your application will be submitted if you filled all details correctly.
NOTE: Its compulsory to be a NHIF member if you are employed in the formal sector,however if you are self-employed in the informal sector application for membership is voluntary.
After registration and upon paying a non-refundable NHIF card application fee of kshs 1,500,you will pick up your NHIF membership card from a nearby Huduma Center office when its ready.
Paying For NHIF Via MPESA Paybill
Follow the following steps to make payment to NHIF via M-pesa:-
- On M-pesa toolkit in your phone ,click on Lipa na M-Pesa.
- Choose on Pay bill Option.
- Enter: 200222 as the Business number
- Enter the Contributors ID number as the Account number.(NOT members number)
- Enter relevant amount.eg kshs5,00
- Enter your M-pesa pin then confirm the pop-up details before finishing the transaction.
NHIF Benefits Package
1.Medical expenses cover
The NHIF package caters for curative and preventive elements of treatment to both inpatients and out patients.They include:-
- Doctor Consultation.
- Laboratory services.
- Dental services.
- Drug administration and dispensation.
- Radiology examination services.
- Surgical services.
- Radiotherapy services.
- Physiotherapy services.
- Midwifery and nursing services.
No need to carry any cash money as your bills in the facility are settled by your agency.
When available,NHIF caters for all medicine prescribed by your doctor from the facility’s pharmacy or from an accredited chemist.
Through timely payment of monthly contribution,your spouse,both biological and adopted children get to enjoy the insurance cover.
The insurance cover has no age limit for the contributors dependents .A 98 year old grandmother can get medical attention through the NHIF insurance cover.
NHIF has more than 5,000 accredited hospitals spread across the 47 counties in the country.
N/B:Not all private hospitals accept NHIF covers.If you so wish to use the insurance cover , only visit a private hospital that is accredited by NHIF such as Aga khan hospitals.
The insurance caters for injection,implant and any other operation recommended by a doctor.
When income tax is being calculated,the sum of all contributions to NHIF are first deducted.
NHIF Contact Details
- Enquiry Email:[email protected]
- Fraud email:[email protected]
- Phone no:0800720601,(020)2723255/66,020272325.
- Official website http://www.nhif.or.ke
- Visit their main office in Nairobi,along Haile sellasie and Ragati road,Opposite Kenya National Library(maktaba kuu).