TSC leaves- The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) gives leaves of absence to teachers upon making a request. A TSC leave is official permission granted to a teacher to be off duty. There are different types of TSC leaves as discussed below.
|S/N||Type of TSC Leave||Leave period|
|1||Annual Leave||42 days|
|2||Maternity Leave||90 calendar days|
|3||Paternity Leave||10 days|
|6||Leave to Spouses of Diplomats|
TSC Annual Leave
A teacher is entitled to 42 days annual leave, which should be taken during school holidays. A teacher who is not on annual leave is assumed to be on duty even during school holidays.
A female teacher is entitled to 90 calendar days maternity leave from the date of confinement. This leave is exclusive of annual leave.
The application for leave should be submitted to the DEO/MEO/DCE through the head of institution at least one month before the leave is due and must have supporting medical documents.
A male teacher can apply for paternity leave of up to 10 days within the period of spouse’s maternity leave. Where a teacher has more than one wife, he will be entitled to the leave in respect to the one whose name appears in the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF) Card.
The application for leave should be submitted to the DEO/MEO/DCE through the head of institution attaching a letter of the spouse’s confinement.
A teacher is allowed a maximum of 15 days compassionate leave in one calendar year to attend to special needs such as bereavement, sickness or hospitalization of dependants. Teachers should apply to the head of institution or agent for approval.
You may also like; All TSC allowances; Here is your complete guide.
Study leave will be granted in line with the policy existing from time to time.
Procedure of applying for study leave
- The application should be forwarded to the Commission at least one month before the commencement date.
- An application should be accompanied by the admission letter.
- A teacher should not proceed on leave before approval and formal release.
- Once granted, leave should be utilized for the approved purpose failure to which disciplinary action will be taken.
- Teachers should report for posting 30 days before expiry of the leave and provide evidence of having undertaken studies.
- Those on study leave lasting less than six months should report back to their stations for allocation of duties. Their heads of institutions should inform the Commission immediately.
Get all TSC Forms here; Free PDF Downloads of all TSC Forms.
Teachers who are granted study leave with pay will be bonded to work for the commission as follows:
- For courses lasting six months but less than one year will be bonded for a period of one year.
- For courses lasting less than two years will be bonded for two year.
- Those attending courses lasting two years or more will be bonded for three years.
Where a teacher under bond obligation chooses to terminate his/her service, he/she will be required to pay in full the total cost of training, the salaries and allowances paid to him/her while on study leave.
Self-sponsored teachers will be required to repay an amount equivalent to the salaries and allowances paid to them while on study leave. The bond will not be applicable to those who have proceeded on unpaid study leave.
The Commission may grant special leave with pay to a teacher who has been selected to attend a meeting, conference or seminar of short duration which is of national interest or relevant to the teachers’ duties.
The Commission may also grant special leave without pay to an officer who is obliged to be away from duty station.
Teachers applying for special leave should do so in writing attaching relevant documents. Teachers should not leave the station before leave is approved.
A teacher whose spouse is a diplomat will qualify for unpaid leave during the period of the spouse’s assignment of duty outside Kenya. Application for the leave should be accompanied by the letter of spouses posting.
Quick TSC Links
Access adverts, entry/exit returns and teacher registration services
Update biodata and additional documents
Access Teacher Perfomance, Appraisal & Development
View pension claims that have been delivered to the Treasury
Access payslips, P9 for tax returns and 3rd party services
Get answers to recurrent questions about general HR issues