History and Government
Time: 2 ½ hours
Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education
FORM 4 HISTORY EXAMS
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATE:
- Write your name, AdmNo, and School in the spaces provided.
- Answer ALL questions in the booklet provided.
- Answer all questions in section A and three questions from B and any two questions in section C.
- All answers must be written in the answer sheet provided.
- Candidates should answer the questions in English.
For examiners’ Use Only.
SECTION A (25MARKS)
Answer ALL the questions in this section.
- Name two types of written materials used by historians as a source of history and Government. (2mks)
- Identify one artifact that is likely to be found in an archaeological site. (1mk)
- Name the main method that was used to plant cereal crops when early agriculture began. (1mk)
- Identify two advantages of barter as a method of exchange of goods during the Trans-Atlantic Trade. (2mks)
- State one result of the invention of the wheel in Mesopotamia. (1mk)
- State two advantages of horn blowing as a means of communication during the pre-colonial period. (2mks)
- Give two inventions that improved textile industry in Britain in the 18th (2mks)
- Identify the main factor that led to the growth of Meroe. (1mk)
- State two functions of the Saza chiefs among the Buganda in the 19th (2mks)
- State one social reason for the coming of Europeans to Africa in the 19th (1mk)
- Identify two European activities in Africa during the 19th (2mk)
- Give one method used by the French to administer their colonies in Africa. (1mk)
- State two roles played by Kwame Nkurumah in the Struggle for independence in Ghana. (2mks)
- Identify one weapon used during the cold war. (1mk)
- Name two permanent members of the United Nations who are non-Europeans. (2mks)
- Give the main reason why Pan African Movement was formed at the beginning of 20th (1mk)
- Name one type of elections held for the house of common in Britain. (1mk)
SECTION B: (45MARKS}
Answer any THREE questions from this section.
- a) Give reasons why hunting and gathering was a group activity during Stone Age-period. (5mks)
- b) Describe five ways in which the development of upright posture improved the early man’s way of life. (12mks)
- a) State five factors that contributed to the development of the Trans-Atlantic Trade. (5mks)
- b) Explain five negative effects of the Trans-Atlantic Trade on African Communities. (10mks)
- a) Give five benefits of the development of railway transport in Europe during the late 19th (5mks)
- b) Explain five disadvantages of using air transport. (10mks)
- a) Give three factors that enabled Europeans powers to colonize Africa in the late 19th Century .(3mks)
- b) Explain six political impacts of Scramble and partition of Africa. (12mks)
SECTION C: (30MARKS)
Answer any TWO questions from this section
- a) Give three economic organization of the Buganda Kingdom during the pre-colonial period. (3mks)
- b) Describe the social organization of the Buganda Kingdom during the pre-colonial period. (12mks)
- a) State three roles played by United States of America in ending the Second World War. (3mks)
- b) Explain six reasons why the Central Powers were defeated in the First World War (12mks)
- a) Identify three ways through which United Nations promote peace in the world. (3mks)
- b) Explain six functions of the General Assembly of the United Nations. (12mks)