You may be having difficulties in knowing whether you are a member of either the Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT) or Kenya Union of Post Primary Education Teachers (KUPPET). Some teachers indeed are on agency and remit a monthly agency fee to the two unions. Others on the other hand are union-less.
Agency fee is charged to non-union TSC employees at a workplace that has union representation. The fee is intended to compensate the union for benefits which are collectively bargained for that the non-union employee will receive.
Teachers on agency are not full time KUPPET or KNUT members. Such teachers do not get representation by the union. They can not be defended by the unions in case they face problems with their employer, the TSC.
The teachers can also not participate in the KNUT and KUPPET election process since they are members. In fact, their names are not captured in the KUPPET/ KNUT TSC by-product (also called the teachers’ union register) which is generated on a monthly basis.
- TSC Payslips; Registration, Login, details, password reset and how to download
- TSC payslip for teachers online: Register, login and get the payslip at payslips portal https://payslip.tsc.go.ke/
- Teachers Service Commission TSC online payslip; What abbreviations on your payslip mean
- TSC TMIS Portal (https://www.teachersonline.go.ke) for teachers and schools; How to register, log in and update data
HOW TO KNOW THAT YOU ARE A BONAFIDE KUPPET/KNUT MEMBER
It is prudent that you check your union membership status. You can either visit your union branch office to get the confirmation or do it online.
To confirm your status online;
- Visit the TSC T-Pay portal by following the link; http://payslip.tsc.go.ke/login.php
- Then, enter your TSC Number and Password (Please note that you can do this if only you are registered for TSC Payslips).
- Click ‘Log in’ and select ‘View Payslips’.
- For KUPPET members, the row ‘SwaS: KUPPET – Union’ should appear. The total amount contributed to the union is captured in the brackets.
- For KNUT members, you will see ‘SwaS: KNUT SWA – (Your branch name)’.
- Click on ‘My Transactions’ to see your running third party transactions.