Kihumba Kamotho, the immediate former head of communications at the Teachers Service Commission (TSC), is dead. Kamotho died on on Monday July 27, 2020 at Mater Hospital. The family said he died ‘after a short illness’.
The no nonsense Kihumba will be fondly remembered by teachers; more so during the protracted 50-60 pay rise strikes in 2015. He could also unleash a series of circulars; with some of them marked with controversy.
He was shown the door by TSC in 2019 with the latter appointing Beatrice Wababu in his place.
Hezron Kihumba Kamotho was employed by TSC as a Public Relations Officer on Permanent and Pensionable terms on 2nd June, 2002 and subsequently rose through the ranks to become the Assistant Deputy Director Public Relations.
On 10th January 2014, he was appointed as Head of Corporate Communications Division, a position he held till his dismissal in 2019.
On 13th August 2019 Kihumba filed an application in the Labour and Relations Court against TSC. He petitioned the employer for refusing to adjust his terms and conditions of service accordingly; including failing to update his Job Group and not making any increments on his pay as per the Scheme of Service despite several requests from Kihumba.
- TSC Quality Assurance and Standards Officer, QASO; Contacts and Roles
- TSC Staffing Officers; Contacts and Roles
- Dr. Nancy Macharia; All TSC Secretary/ Chief Executive Officers: Latest TSC News
- TSC Commissioners; Current list, responsibilities and qualifications
- TSC Structure: The new Teachers Service Commission Secretariat
- TSC County Directors; Roles/ duties they perform: Latest TSC News
- TSC leaves for teachers: Sick, maternity, paternity, study and all other leaves
- TSC Payslips; Registration, Login, details, password reset and how to download
- TSC allowances paid to teachers: Latest TSC News
- TSC News Portal: The Teachers Service Commission
ROLES PERFORMED BY THE TSC HEAD OF COMMUNICATIONS
The TSC head of communications performs the key roles below;
- Restructure and co-ordinate the activities of Corporate Communications Division which incorporates the Public Relations and Customer Care Sections.
- Design a media strategy and make recommendations on how the Respondent will engage with the media for purposes of positive visibility.
- Redesign a public complaints procedure to enable the Respondent develop strategies that will mitigate against such complaints in future.
- Initiate and review Corporate Communication and Customer Care Policy and design appropriate programmes and infrastructure to facilitate its implementation.
- Co-ordinate the preparation and writing of required speeches for different occasions.
- Research on various public communication issues and develop appropriate interventions.
- Monitor and evaluate customer service both in the County and the Headquarters.
- Advise the Respondent on communication and customer care trends.
- Manage Performance and undertake appraisal of staff in the Division.
- Co-ordinate the development, design, printing and distribution of the Image Magazine and update the Respondent’s Newsletter.
- Ensure customers visiting the Respondent are treated with care and emerging issues are directed to the appropriate Director.