The University of Nairobi (UoN) has been ranked at position 1,294 out of twenty thousand universities worldwide according to the latest list from the 2020-2021 Center for World University Rankings. The Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) publishes the largest academic rankings of global universities.
From the East Africa region Uganda’s Makerere lead with a score of 70.8% to clinch position 923 in the whole world. Tanzania’s Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (MUHAS) which is a public university in Dar es Salaam became the only other university apart from Makerere and UON to be ranked after finishing at position 1835 (66.4%).
- State of promotions for classroom teachers, administrators: TSC Boss releases a circular
- TSC grades and qualifications for various administrative positions in schools; complete guide
East African Countries with no university in the ranking list
Rwanda, South Sudan and Burundi failed to have any of their universities in the world ranking list. From the horn of Africa all the four countries (Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia and Somalia) also registered no universities in the list.
|S/NO||UNIVERSITY NAME||COUNTRY||SCORE (%)||WORLD RANK|
|2||University of Nairobi||Kenya||68.4||1,357|
|3||Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (MUHAS)||Tanzania||66.4||1,835|
Center for World University Rankings uses the following indicators to rank the world’s universities:
- Quality of education, measured by the number of a university’s alumni who have won major academic distinctions relative to the university’s size (25%),
- Alumni employment, measured by the number of a university’s alumni who have held top executive positions at the world’s largest companies relative to the university’s size (25%),
- Quality of faculty, measured by the number of faculty members who have won major academic distinctions (10%) and
- Research performance:
THE REST OF AFRICA
In the African continent South africa’s University of Capetown took position one with a score of 77.3% (position 268 in the world). It was followed by University of the Witwatersrand (77.2%, position 275) and Stellenbosch University (75.0%, position 429); both from South Africa.
Harvard University from the United States of America (USA) took top spot in the whole world with a perfect score of 100%.
According to another list released by Webometrics ranking of world universities in 2019, UoN was ranked number nine in Africa ahead of uganda’s Makerere University; which was placed at number eleven. UoN was also among top 1000 in the world after it was ranked 990 worldwide.