The Kenya National Examinations Council, KNEC, has given instructions for registration of candidates for the 2020 Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE), Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) and KCSE Qualifying Test Examinations. According to the latest instructions from the council, registration will be conducted between 2nd January and 15th February, 2020. Here is the Circular by Dr. Mercy G. Karogo, MBS Ag. CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER; dated 11th December, 2019;
‘SUBJECT: REGISTRATION OF CANDIDATES FOR THE 2020 KCPE, KCSE AND KCSE QUALIFYING TEST (QT) EXAMINATIONS1.0 The Kenya National Examinations Council wishes to bring to your attention the following information as regards the registration of 2020 KCPE, KCSE and KCSE Qualifying Test examinations. 1.1 The registration of candidates for the 2020 KCPE, KCSE and KCSE QT examinations will start from 2nd January 2020 and end on 15th February, 2020. 1.2 Any school that has between 6 and 14 candidates will be hosted by another centre to be determined by the Sub County Director of Education. The information on such schools should be submitted to KNEC together with the registration documents. The hosted school will retain its code during registration of candidates. Schools with less than six (6) candidates are advised to register their candidates in an approved examination centre within the same Subcounty.
- KNEC Contracted Professionals: How to check deployment station and other details
- KNEC: PTE, ECDE, SNE Latest registration instructions
- KNEC Exam Administration: How to access, mark and print the Contracted Professionals’ attendance Register
- KNEC Exam results and Certificates: How to receive results and certificates from KNEC
- A link to all KNEC portals
- KNEC grading system for all subjects
- Identification, Nomination and selection of KNEC contracted Professionals
- Important information for teachers wishing to train as KNEC examiners
- KNEC: How to assign index numbers to KCPE, KCSE candidates
- tHow to download marking invitation letters for KNEC examiners
- 1.7.1 Correct order of candidates names as per the birth certificate.
- 1.7.2 Gender
- 1.7.3 Year of Birth
- 1.7.4 Subjects entered for each examination
- 1.7.5 Information on different categories of candidates with special needs (i.e Braille, Low Vision, Deaf)
2.0 REGISTRATION OF KCSE PRIVATE CANDIDATES2.1 All private candidates shall be identified and registered at the Sub County Director of Education. 2.2 Sub County Directors of Education are informed to identify one Public school where the private candidates will be hosted during the examination. This will be the centre where the candidates will undertake their projects and sit for the Practical examinations
3.0 REGISTRATION OF KCPE PRIVATE CANDIDATES3.1 All non-formal centres for the KCPE examination shall be expected to register their candidates with the Sub County Education offices and to upload candidates’ photographs online. No hard copies of photographs should be submitted to KNEC. 3.2 All candidates registering examinations in prisons must have individual passport size photograph uploaded online.
4.0 DOCUMENTS FOR REGISTRATION OF CANDIDATES4.1 All documents for the registration of candidates are to be down loaded from the KNEC website- http://www.knec.ac.ke 4.2 The Kenya National Examinations Council shall not send hard copy documents for registration of candidates for the 2020 KCPE and KCSE Examinations.
5.0 KCPE AND KCSE EXAMINATION FEES5.1 The government of Kenya shall pay examination fees for all candidates in public and private schools except for the following:
- 5.1.1 candidates who are re-sitting/repeaters;
- 5.1.2 Non-citizens candidates;
- 5.1.3 Candidates in Prison;
- 5.1.4 Private candidates registering in the Sub County private examination centres;
6.0 USE OF PASSWORD FOR REGISTRATION OF CANDIDATES6.1 Passwords are confidential to each school and should be secured by the head teacher. In the event that a school has lost forgotten its password, the head teacher should send an email to KNEC (firstname.lastname@example.org). 6.2 All new centres once approved and uploaded on the website shall access the registration platform by keying in their centre number as both the user name and password. Head of institutions are advised to change the password from the centre code to a password of their choice to maintain confidentiality, 6.3 Heads of institutions and Sub County Directors of Education are advised to safeguard their passwords to restrict access of the school’s registration data by unauthorized persons.
7.0 REGISTRATION OF KCSE QUALIFYING TEST (QT) CANDIDATES7.1 All candidates will be registered at the Sub County Director of Education office. The KCSE Qualifying Test registration fee is Kes 3,000 (three thousand) per candidate. 7.2 All the registered candidates will be hosted at the County Director of Education headquarters during the administration of the examination. 7.3 Heads of institutions shall be required to ensure that all candidates with foreign certificates are equated and registered for Qualifying Test a year before they are due to register for KCSE examination. 7.4 Documents required for the KCSE Qualifying Test registration:
- 7.4.1 A copy of original CPE certificate;
- 7.4.2 Copy of letter of Equation from KNEC for all candidates holding a foreign primary education certificate. Please note that the equation letter is obtained from the KNEC Archives office at New Mitihani House South C, Mombasa Road;
- 7.4.3 A passport size photograph in a CD (300 x 300pixes);
- 7.4.4 Bank deposit slip of Kes. 3,000/= per candidate;
- 7.4.5 Candidates without the requisite registration documents should not be registered.